Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Power of Nazi Propaganda


Several people have asked how I felt after going through the Holocaust Museum on my recent trip to DC. It's really difficult to explain the emotion that wells up inside you when you see the atrocities committed upon not only the Jews, but those with deformities, blacks, Jehovah's Witnesses, homosexuals, etc. If you have a weak stomach, then this would not be the exhibit for you. Very disturbing images. Hitler's agenda was subtly put into motion and many didn't see it coming until it was too late. Even after the killings had begun many of the Jews still didn't know that was what was happening. They would lie and tell the prisoners that they were going for a shower, only to send them to their death.
 
One has to wonder how so many could follow Hitler blindly and without question. As I pondered how such a horrible thing could happen I thought about what most likely kept it fueled once the plan was put into motion...fear and prejudice. This is not too hard for me to understand being that I grew up in a generation where prejudice was common. Not that it has been fully eradicated now, but it was far worse back then, and in years prior to my childhood, prejudice was pretty much the norm. People were afraid of anyone who was different. I would imagine all it took to convince people to comply with his plans was a few military men who made an example of anyone going against Hitler's demands. And I can't in all honesty say that I wouldn't have felt that same kind of fear they did, although I would hope that I would have had the courage to stand up against evil even with the fear of death looming over my head. It had to be a difficult place to be in. Hopefully I will never have to know what I would do in such a situation, but let me tell you, if it happened once, it could happen again. So many things are being pushed into our lives even now. Things we don't agree with, but have failed to stand against in numbers great enough to rule in the voting system. Some think it's not a Christian's place to be involved politically. I disagree. Yes, certain things are bound to happen eventually, but in the meantime, we as believers should rise up when we see injustice. We should make our voice be heard when right is called wrong and wrong is called right.
 
Years ago I read a worship book by Terry Law entitled, "How to Enter God's Presence." In it, he told a story about how a bird was placed in a cage with a snake. In the beginning the bird stayed up high in the opposite corner, afraid of the snake. But the snake just laid there staring. After a while the bird became mesmerized by the glitter in the snake's eyes so he hopped down onto the floor. That went on for a while until the bird moved closer. Keep in mind that the snake didn't ever move. He continued to lay there gazing at his prey. Eventually the snake opened his mouth and the bird jumped in and was devoured. If we as a people stare at sin too long, we too are likely to start thinking it's not that bad. We will be heading toward destruction and not even realize it. As I thought about this story I wondered if those who may have thought Hitler's treatment of the Jews was horrific in the beginning were swayed into being a part of it through subtle tactics. Isn't that how sin is? We may think something is bad, but the more we compromise or rationalize, the less wrong it seems. And let's face it, sin can be fun for a moment, but then it takes a rapid turn and you're caught up in something so big, somewhere you never dreamed you'd be. Okay, so I'm veering from the subject of the Holocaust Museum, but really all of what I said could apply here. If people had paid attention, had stood up when they saw through Hitler's schemes, perhaps this wouldn't have happened. It goes to show just how easy people can be swayed by charismatic personalities. And how simple it will be for the antichrist to come onto the scene and be well received.
 
There is so much more I could say on the subject, but for now, I'll close...oh wait...one more thing...Did you realize that the United States of America turned the Jews away when they sat on a boat in Miami? Some have this notion that the United States stepped in and saved the day...and to some degree they did...but not in time to prevent countless deaths....I love my country, but felt such shame knowing that they had the opportunity to help and refused. So there you have just one more of the many emotions that came on me...

No comments:

Post a Comment