Monday, November 5, 2012

As we face the election I have heard so much political debate, name calling and bashing of candidates. This year's campaign seems worse than ever. As I was listening to a message on Sunday morning I was reminded that God's word tells us to pray for our leaders. It didn't say to pray only if you like them. In fact, if you don't like them, you should probably be praying even more. I think it becomes really hard to dislike someone if you are praying for them. You see them in a different light. Anyway, later as I prepared to go to bed I decided to read my Bible, to get one more dose of God's word. As I opened the pages it fell to 1 Timothy 2:1-2, which reads:

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

Funny thing, a person on my facebook friends list had mentioned how she heard a message at her church and then later God directed her to a verse that went right along with that. I commented how I loved when God did that kind of thing. It's kind of a confirmation that, yes, God is speaking something to you. It was that night when the same thing happened to me. I am grinning even thinking about it. I am thankful that God took the time to remind me to pray for our president...no matter which candidate wins. He also directed me to that familiar verse in Philippians 4:6-7. It reads:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

The thing that both verses seem to have in common is that, when we present our requests to God and offer thanks, peace is a result. Some days it is hard to lay my cares at Jesus' feet, but by doing so I am trusting that God is in control no matter how things may look. And in this day and age, who doesn't long for peace? I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment