Wednesday, May 8, 2013

10 Moses raised another objection to God: "Master, please, I don't talk well. I've never been good with words, neither before nor after you spoke to me. I stutter and stammer."
11-12 God said, "And who do you think made the human mouth? And who makes some mute, some deaf, some sighted, some blind? Isn't it I, God? So, get going. I'll be right there with you—with your mouth! I'll be right there to teach you what to say."
13 He said, "Oh, Master, please! Send somebody else!" Exodus 4:10-13 (Message Bible)

Every time I read these verses I am amazed to think that Moses was insecure about his ability to do what God was asking him. I don't know why I would be amazed. Probably because he went on to do great things. But human nature is often times quick to see our own flaws and to feel insecure about them. And Moses was no different. In these verses we see that he was quick to point out the reason why he couldn't do what he was asked. And it makes me think of myself. (Can you hear me saying ouch!) God already knew when He asked Moses to do the task what his limitations were. But God has no limitations to what He can do. And it's in His power and strength that we must learn to rely. So why is it that we are so quick to respond with our inabilities?
It's been said that when God calls us to do something He will equip us for the task. In fact, He may have already been preparing us even without our realizing it. All of our life experiences and our passions can be used in some way to further the kingdom of God. 
There are so many times when I feel inferior to others. As you can probably guess (based on some of my previous posts), it most likely stems from my childhood and the rejection I felt growing up. In some ways that feeling of not being good enough taught me to see the negative in things. And to be honest, I still struggle with that at times. This makes me want to stay in my comfort zones. But I have to wonder if playing it safe is going to get me to where I need to be. And is it going to best fulfill the plan of God? I mean, just like Moses, God will still accomplish His plan even if we aren't a 100% willing participant. But wouldn't it be nice to know that we were obedient to God, even in our discomfort, and that He used us to fulfill His plans? 



No comments:

Post a Comment