Monday, May 16, 2011

Memories of Marie

In 2005 we had a family reunion. My daughter in law made a tape of part of it. Over time we really didn't think much about it. She never had it transferred to dvd and it was a hassle to try to watch it from her tape. At the time, we didn't know that 5 years later my cousin Marie would no longer be with us. I guess we should have known. She had already been diagnosed with lupus and with breast cancer. But we were all believing for that miracle. And throughout the journey we would see glimpses of hope that she would beat the odds. Sadly, she didn't. On January 12, 2010 she passed away. Her battle that started in her breasts (she had a double mastectomy) had spread to her liver, her colon and eventually her brain. Watching such a vibrant woman deteriorate was heart breaking. But even through the struggles, she was always positive, always seeing the good in her situation. She bragged wholeheartedly about God and how He was working all around her. Her excitement and joy were truly something to behold.
My husband and I had the video transferred to a dvd, and a couple of weeks later we received the tape and dvd's back. I knew what was on the tape, but wasn't expecting the surge of emotion that came forth as she began to speak about her sister, and those who had prayed for her. I often wonder why God chose not to heal her. She was a prime candidate. She was always giving Him glory. She was a woman who thought more about the needs of others than the needs of herself. She didn't whine and complain. She didn't blame God. So why didn't she get healed? I guess I'll never know the answer to that in this lifetime, but I'm sure that God has a plan in place through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment